Decorating or renovating a home can be a difficult task with all the choices available today. And when it comes to window treatments – the number one question on every renovator’s mind is whether to go with curtains or window blinds. Though curtains may be more suitable for certain types of windows and areas, the following is a summary of key points to consider when trying to decide between the two options:
- Blinds are usually a lot more affordable than drapes or curtains.
- Drapes take up a lot of wall space and make a room “feel smaller”.
- Blinds are very effective at blocking outside lighting sources with tilt control allowing you to easily and quickly adjust for the right amount of light.
- Drapes are costly and time-consuming to clean (i.e. taking off, washing, drying, ironing and hanging). Blinds, on the other hand, can be quickly wiped with a slightly damp cloth.
- Blinds offer a clean and tidy look to your home.
- Drapes are more difficult to install with more sophisticated curtains arrangements requiring the expertise of a professional. Blinds can be installed by anyone with very limited DIY experience.